Friday, March 14, 2008

The World of wikis

Wikis were a whole new concept for me. I had a vague notion about wikipedia but thought of it as a very unreliable source of information. I was extremely surprised to read of the accuracy of the German version of this wiki. I can see how it is a much more current source of information and is a good way to share knowledge.
I loved looking through the wikis and spent some time checking these out. There is a great range of uses. I was intrigued with the idea of using them for procedure manuals and information about the library. They have great potential. Particularly in areas where geographically our libraries are isolated. Library staff from regional centres could use a wiki to cordinate an upcoming event, formulate meeting agendas and discuss roles & aims for regional library services. Library members could use wikis to create 'good read' lists, requests for purchases(never ending) and particular needs of their community.
I imagine gathering local history information could be done well through a wiki. Many local historians are using technology more and more and I think this format would provide an excellent method of sharing knowledge.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Wikis and local studies are a match made in heaven, I reckon!

Glad you are enjoying the :earning 2.0 program and thinking of great applications for it in your library.

Victoria